Tuesday 14 February 2012

WHITNEY HOUSTON WAS PERFECT

Get outta bed around nine

An I don’t worry about nothin’ no

Cause worryin’s a waste of my, time’

Those are the first words of the song ‘Mr. Brownstone’ by Guns ‘n’ Roses. It was written about heroin
addiction. These words can sometime describe me because I wake up early, reach out for my phone
then browse for the next 1-3 hours before I get out of bed. Usually, I check my email and inboxes
then notifications followed by replying to tweets from my friends in the Diaspora who tweet when
I’m sleeping. That’s followed by reading some news then the whole thing ends with updating my
status and tweeting. But last Sunday was different, I woke up and went directly to my bookmarks and
pressed the news button. WHITNEY HOUSTON DIES AT 48.

I won’t lie; I was shocked and got up immediately. I first knew about Whitney after hearing “On My
Own” on radio some 9 years ago, or so. Then I became a fan. I didn’t believe how she managed to
sing like that! I followed her closely and always sympathized with her when it came to divorce and
substance abuse. I didn’t understand why she didn’t sing anymore but I used some of her lyrics in
love letters to girls when infatuation was running me like a marathon back in high school. When
she divorced in 2007, I was devastated, and then I was excited when she got up and attempted a
comeback in 2010.

Whitney put herself together and launched her come back on TV besides Oprah whom some 90’s kids
confused with Whitney. Can you believe some people posted Oprah’s pictures with the words ‘RIP
WHITNEY’ on facebook!? Anyway, she toured Europe and things didn’t go so well when she was not
able to sing like the Whitney of 20 years before. People actually walked out in the middle of the show
after she did a different version of “I Will Always Love You”. That was Brisbane in Australia. People
made so much noise about it, not considering what she had been through.

We live in a very harsh world. A world that motivates you when you are up, running and almost
ahead of it. But that same world will step and trample on you as soon as you trip even a little. When
Whitney was young and fresh from the church choirs where the good Lord had nurtured her, the
world adored her. She made international hits and everyone hailed her. When she got married
and things didn’t go so well, the same people that had built strongholds of praise and high regards
around her stripped her naked, telling the world of her marriage on the rocks, drugs and all other
weaknesses. This went on for the rest of her life.

I’m sure Whitney Houston at some point used drugs as a weapon against the harsh world that
suddenly surrounded her. She was a strong woman who probably fought more internal wars than
most of us. She used the drugs as a weapon in the war against the realities of the cruel world. Then it

turned out that the drugs were also an enemy that she had to fight. It’s very sad that the world that
had helped her into these situations never helped her out, but turned against her instead. She dealt
with failed marriage, drug addiction, loss of career, public image and definitely more. Many times
she went into rehab and even tried to tour again. She actually died in a hotel room where she was to
stay before singing at a pre Grammy party. That shows that she was willing and wanted to get back to
whom she used to be.

She fought and ran till the end of her race. The world was not nice to her until she died, then
suddenly, everyone is praising her. Nice words come from left, right and center. And that’s how we
are. We condemn, judge, demonize and don’t see anything good about people until they leave for
good. I think if Whitney had had the world encourage her to do her thing, however bad it sounded
from 3o years ago, she would still be alive. Imagine the impact it had on her fragile, fighting will when
those people walked out on her in Brisbane after travelling all the way from America to show them
that she was still willing to do it. Imagine how she felt every time she read about her fall and loss of
everything. If they did all that to her, what makes you think she wants to listen to you praise her even
if she was the best? Thank God she’s dead because you won’t get a smile from her for your filthy lies.

Have you ever asked yourself why Whitney never got married again after her divorce or was never in
sex scandals like many other celebrities? I believe it’s because she had a goal she was aiming at. But
we were never in her team to help her score it. We attacked and jeered instead. Now some people
are blaming Bobby Brown for her ruin, forgetting that he in this moment is in deep grief and pain. The
poor man received the news of her former wife’s death just before he got on stage in Memphis and
he broke down missing the first song. He got on stage for the second song and shouted “I love you
Whitney. The hardest thing for me to do is to come on this stage.” He then blew a kiss to the sky with
visibly teary eyes. That is clearly a man in pain right now and we are still fighting him. I bet we are
going to do this until he dies, then we will shower his death with sweet nothings.

It’s sad, really sad that this is the world we have decided to make and live in. Let’s love one another
and let LOVE be our torch. A light has been deemed and I extend my deepest condolence to her
family, friends, fans and all who have been touched by her life and everything.

REST IN PEACE WHITNEY, YOU FOUGHT A VERY HARD WAR AND RAN A VERY HARD

RACE, IN A VERY GOOD WAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment